This webinar was live on 28 May 2021.
The ECSN program is pleased to support a discussion webinar for Support Coordination and other disability providers to hear of the experiences of others in providing best practice support planning alongside and in partnership with Participants who identify as Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander People.
This webinar will be an introduction discussion. There’s the potential to have follow-up practice discussions with experienced facilitators during the year.
This webinar will explore:
- ‘Understand your community’ – the importance of considering Aboriginal ways of being, knowing and doing to help design and contribute to a successful NDIS Plan
- ‘Effective engagement with Aboriginal Participants’ – reflect on interactions and be open to cross-cultural learnings
- What’s involved in sourcing providers, including the need for culturally appropriate supports and current gaps
- Access to NDIS for Aboriginal Participants
- Consideration of specific areas such as ABI, FASD, trauma informed practice and care.
Within this introductory webinar we will hear from:
Kerri Colegate – Kerri is a Noongar woman and Director of KM Noongar Consultancy Services. She’s a consultant across many governmental and non-governmental services in WA, including providing guidance and support to the NDIS in relation to services for Aboriginal people, linkages to universities, cultural competence service development and many other roles.
Margaret McGuinness – Margaret is a Specialist Support Coordinator with a social work background. She has held previous roles in the People with Exceptionally Complex Needs (PECN) program as well as Regional Intensive Support Coordination (RISC), where she has supported Aboriginal People.
Michael Riou – Michael is Strategic Director at Teem Treasure who have a track record in the development of individualised living and support arrangements where there is a significant level of complexity, including expertise across disability, psycho-social, and justice sectors. Michael will provide a case study discussing culturally aligned support in practice.
For more information please contact the ECSN team on 0419 322 499 or email email@example.com.